Friday, July 24, 2009

How Grandpa lost his power...


Have you ever given any thought as to who really controls the world? There are many theories. Some believe that behind every great man is a strong woman. Others believe that man controls his own destiny. Still others think that men are born for a time and a reason. I'm here to tell you that all of these theories are dead wrong. The most powerful force in the universe is...grandchildren.

This summer of 2009 has been a real education for this old man. Recently, I found a few moments of time to contemplate my life and my surroundings. Here is what I discovered during this period of enlightenment.

First, grandchildren can make grandpa's do the most amazing things. I cite as example the following... When was the last time you took your grand-daughter to the local science museum, and found yourself playing the part of fool? Imagine, grown men (with gray hair) climbing in and out of exhibits, crawling over giant blocks, or dressing up in funny costumes just to see a toddler laugh!
Or how about squeezing yourself into the smallest tiny train you can find (not once or twice, but everytime you find a too-small train to ride!), just to ride around in circles for a few fleeting moments...all because the wee one refuses to ride by herself.

Or how about walking around in circles...leading a pony named Sadie who just happens to be carrying your grand-daughter on its back. Do you have any idea what ponies do as they are walking around in circles?? Let's just say a person should'nt wear nice shoes!
Talk about real power...how about facing a hoard of man-eating goats? We had every intention of feeding them some goat food, but soon realized they had an appetite for shirts, shorts, and anything loose! Okay...I know what your saying. You may have risked life and limb just to please these mighty munchkins...but all it cost you was a few dollars for admission, and all your dignity and pride. Well, consider that these same pint-sized manipulators also figured out a way for grandpa to put a swimming pool up in his backyard!
Swimming pool...$140
Cost to fill the pool...$100
Watching kids and grandkids having a wonderful time...Priceless!

The most powerful force on the face of this earth?? The love of a grandchild for a grandparent. Trust me, love like that can and will make you do the most amazing things! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an interesting post!

    It's funny indeed how kids can have so much power over adults. I'm not a grandfather (obviously) and I don't even have kids of my own. But even I have noticed a change in my own life since the girls have been born.

    You mention that "Old Grandpa" will throw away his pride to bring a smile to his granddaughters' faces. Well... old "Uncle Benny" is not far off from that either. I am finding myself doing things I normally wouldn't do when I am with the girls as well. There is just about nothing that delights me more than spending time with my nieces. And to be honest, I never expected to feel that way. Sometimes I feel as if my nieces were my own children and that I would do anything for them. Just a difficult feeling to describe to someone.

    It's amazing how they have just brought so much joy into everyone's lives. It will definitely be fun to watch them grow up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma loves spending time with the 'girls', too! It's especially entertaining to observe Kaity and Lexi 'play', especially since they can now talk. It is also very interesting to watch as my daughters and their husbands assume their parenting roles. Nothing melts your heart like a hug and an "I love you, Grandma" or to hear their little voices on the phone. Just wish we lived a little closer! Grandkids..they make getting older bearable!

    ReplyDelete