Thursday, January 21, 2010

What's this world coming to.....

I can remember as a child playing on the school playground. My favorite was the slide, because I could pretend it was a submarine and I could go on amazing adventures without leaving the neighborhood. The monkey-bars were fun as long as someone didn't try to knock you off the top bar. The swings quickly became boring. That pretty much left the merry-go-round as my next choice for fun and excitement.

The merry-go-round provided lots of fun and sometimes chaos. It was fun as long as you were big enough to have control...you could muscle the smaller kids to do what you wanted them to...right? But it wasn't much fun if you were on the receiving end. Ever been on a merry-go-round when others had control, and it was spinning around and around, faster and faster, and you couldn't get off for fear of flying off to doom and destruction?

Well, I'm much older now, but there are days when I feel like I'm still on that old merry-go-round, and the big kids are spinning me around and around, faster and faster, and I just want it to stop so I can get off. Is it just me, or does it seem like this old world is spinning out of control? Every day I read my paper... I listen to the news... I peruse the internet, and all I see is pain and confusion... I see people facing improbable situations... I hear the frustration in their pleading voices, and I can't help but wonder...What's this world coming to?

When I contemplate all that's happening in this old world, I can't help but be reminded of the words of Jesus in Matthew 24... You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.

Yes, there seems to be problems all over the world. Earthquakes, tsunamis, famine, wars, mudslides, terrorists...you name it and I'll bet we can find a spot (or multiple spots) on any map where people are suffering. Even is America we can find division and distrust like never before. Historians may have thought that this country was divided during the Civil War of the 1860's... but just look at a U.S. map today and you will see we are divided once again... not North vs. South, but Blue vs. Red. We are a country divided. It's no wonder we want this crazy merry-go-round to stop so we can get off.

So...we could spend days debating the problems, the causes, and the culprits... but that's not the point of this post. It is to offer an alternative... a support program if you prefer. Allow me to offer this little ditty as my two-cents thrown in...

Jesus For Our Time

The Spirit moved and life began,
And set in motion God’s great plan.
In ancient days He led through fear;
In ancient ways, He drew them near.

A lamb, a goat, a turtledove
Would shed its blood to show our love.
Temple barriers, a God apart,
Guiding through a distant heart.

Then Love came down, appeared as Man,
Lived and died and rose again.
Suffered so, for you and me;
Defeated death and set us free.

Modern Man sees Him not;
Says science gave us what we got.
They preach and teach we are alone,
An ancient god we have outgrown.

He loves us still, despite our flaws
And pleads our case before God’s laws.
He lives within our mortal shell;
His spirit there will always dwell.

We need him now, more than before,
This God of Love, we can’t ignore.
Man may rely, secure in mind
That we have Jesus for our time.


Have you ever thought...what if? What if we as a Nation recognized and worshipped God. What if we shared love instead of hate. What if we embraced Jesus for our time...






No comments:

Post a Comment