Thursday, May 12, 2016

Vietnam 2016 - Day 2
 
It is Thursday morning March 31st... note we lost a day when we crossed the international dateline sometime yesterday.  Well rested from our night at a Tokyo airport hotel, we enjoy a breakfast buffet, then board our bus for the trip back to the airport.
 
We arrive back at Narita-Tokyo airport at 8:00 am and begin the security and boarding process.  We board our plane, a Vietnam Airlines jet at 10:00 am for the 5 1/2 hour flight to Hanoi.  By the way, flying with Vietnam Air was a better experience than we had with American Airlines... more room, better food, more entertainment choices, and a smoother ride.
 
We arrived Hanoi airport around 3:30 pm local time, and survived entry inspections.  Now for those of you who are paying close attention, it was at this point, waiting for my luggage at the Hanoi airport, that my real adventure began... for while waiting for my suitcase, I slip into the men's restroom and throw up my breakfast! 
 
Before I continue recounting my Vietnamese adventure, some explanation is in order.  From this point on, my tummy is on an adventure all on its own.  During the next two weeks, I will have difficulty eating and keeping anything down.  I will survive mainly on peanut butter and crackers, granola bars, sprite and bottled water, unable to eat or sometimes even smell the Vietnamese food.
 
As you can imagine, I was very concerned that I had picked up a virus, a parasite, or food poisoning as I suffered day after day, unable to eat and keep food down.  It wasn't until I returned home (and suffered for a few more days at home) that I passed two kidney stones!
 
As we leave the airport, we are met by Karen and Ut To, our United Methodist representatives in Vietnam.  I have known Karen and Ut since my first trip to Vietnam back in 2010, and over the years they have become great friends.  We join Karen and Ut as we board our mini bus and head toward downtown Hanoi.

 
 
 
  
We decide to do a bit of sightseeing before we check into our hotel.  It begins with a rickshaw ride around downtown Hanoi.  Nice to sight-see from a comfortable moving chair!  It was fun and interesting watching the Hanoi traffic and the people...
 

 
Next on our agenda was the Water Puppet Theater... puppets, not controlled by wires from above, but by rods and wires under water.  Really enjoyed the show and especially the traditional Vietnamese music.
 
After the show, we stopped by an outdoor café and watched with amazement as the evening traffic became completely jammed below our 3rd floor café balcony!
 
 
Finally, we check into our downtown Hanoi hotel for some much needed rest.  While everyone else headed off to supper, I was more interested in my Pepto-Bismo and Xantx!  Yes, at this particular time, I still thought I had a simple foreign stomach bug, and was more interested in sleep after our tiresome travels.  Night-night, everyone!
 
 

 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment