Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Just let go...

A couple months ago, someone from church approached me with a problem, and wanted some guidance. After I had listened for some time to what was essentially a dispute between ex-spouses, my advise was for them to pray and then let God handle the problem. Sounds easy...right?

Several weeks later, this same person came to me and wanted to thank me for my "advice". It seemed that the ex-spouse had neatly backed himself into a corner, and that everything had worked out in favor of the church member. A modern day miracle??

I think most of us will agree that advice is much easier to give, than to accept. We are often quick to "put in our 2-cents worth" in order to help another resolve their problems. But when the shoe is on our own foot, we tend to hesitate, and our desire is to handle our problems on our own. More often than not, when we try to "fix" things ourselves, we end up making a small problem much bigger.

In my last blog, I shared with you how I had made some mistakes at work in regard to the payroll of a couple employees. My first reaction, of course, was "I'll fix it!" As I spent a few nights in turmoil as to my blunder and the consequences, the one thought that kept me awake was this..."Just let go..." For me, the meaning was clear...for once, take some of your own advice, and let God handle your problem.

Well, as you can imagine, again, easier said than done. But today, several weeks later, I can honestly say that I was harder on myself than others were. I feel privileged to work with such compassionate and understanding people. Further, the employees that were affected by my mistakes were gracious in their understanding. The problems have been worked out and I am still alive to tell the tale.

Moral of the story?? "Let it go"...allow God access to your worries, your problems, your mistakes. Oh, you'll still need to face up to your mistakes...we all do. But God will be there every step of the way...to encourage, to lift up, to provide support. And I'll even venture to say that your true friends will be there for you as well. Believe me when I say, I was surprised by all that has happened...and I shouldn't have been. Trust in God...you'll never go wrong. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Such true and great advice. It is easier to hear than put into practice. But I think in our spiritual walks, we learn to trust more. I always find I get the best results when I "Let Go & Let God".

    ReplyDelete