Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter Greetings...

It was Palm Sunday and because he had a sore throat, five-year-old Johnny stayed home from church with a sitter. When the family returned home, they were each carrying several palm branches. The inquisitive boy asked what they were for. "People held them over Jesus' head as he walked by", was the response. "Wouldn't you know it," little Johnny fumed, "The one Sunday I don't go, Jesus shows up!"

This is one of my favorite Easter stories, for it blends humor with a misunderstanding that we all share. In this day and age, every single one of us finds ourselves caught up in our daily struggles, only to "miss" events that are happening all around us. As I approached Easter this year, I was once again faced with the task of presenting a familiar story from the Bible, one that everyone knows, and many could recite by heart. How do you make an age-old story that everyone knows fresh and unique? After all, it is Easter that defines Christians and the Christian life. Yet, we are so familiar with the story, that we tend to overlook the significance of the event.

For me, the answer was so obvious, I almost missed it. Simply put, you don't. There is nothing to change, no fresh new facts to present, no overlooked observations that weren't recorded or misunderstood. Christ walked purposefully into Jerusalem, knowing he would not leave alive. He bore the weight and humility that only the Roman soldiers could administer, and yet not a word did he speak. He suffered pain and anguish, not only from the beatings and anger, but from his willingness to take my sins upon himself. Yes, he suffered as no man had suffered before or since, and yet he did it willingly because he loved me. And when all was said and done, he defeated death when he rose again, and because he lives, you and I will live also.

As Easter approaches, I have tried to slow down and take a closer look at my family and friends...to look at them with new appreciation and consideration...to examine my life in the context of how I show others that I love them.

Specifically, two events have occupied my thoughts these past few days. First, my son Ben was baptized in his church this past Sunday. Over the past year or so, I have watched with fascination and a parent's pride as Ben has become more involved in his church and in his walk with God. I have seen and heard the excitement in his actions and his words as he describes how God has blessed him, and how he appreciates the opportunities to serve God more. Kinda makes an old man happy, to see his children develop a love and a trust in God.

The second event actually hasn't happened yet. It is with eager anticipation that we await the birth of another precious grand-daughter. Our eldest daughter, Bethany, is expecting most any day now (her actual due date is May 2, but I don't think she'll last that long!) Nola and I have been especially blessed with two amazing grand-daughters, Alexa and Kaitlyn, and can only imagine how our newest family member, Jillian, will impact our lives.

This Easter...slow down, breathe deep, look around, and make sure you don't miss all the amazing things going on all around you. Tell someone you know that you love them. And most of all, make sure you don't miss Jesus when he walks by!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment