Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lord, Bless my Bike...


Warm, sunny spring days are hard to come by, so you can imagine my excitement when the weather finally turned decent and the call came to "start up your motorcycles"!
I hadn't had the opportunity to ride yet this year, so I was really looking forward to my first ride of spring. The morning started out a bit cool, but soon warmed up and made for a great day of riding.

So, last saturday found me and a few of my friends in the very small Indiana town of Arcola (a small town between Ft. Wayne and Columbia City) for the 20th annual Blessing of the Bikes. This event started 20 years ago with eight motorcycles, and over the years has blossomed into quite an event. This year, approximately 2,500 motorcycles and over 3,000 individuals converged on Arcola to fellowship, visit, and have their bikes blessed by Fr. Francisco (a little priest from India who sounded like Apu from the Simpson's!) The bikes filled up three parking lots around the church, and lined both sides of the country road for half a mile.

I had the opportunity to meet and make new friends, and spend some time with a group of CMA (Christian Motorcyclists Association) members from Albion, Indiana. Matter of fact, two CMA chaplains took part in the blessing program and I was impressed with their willingness to participate and their willingness to be a witness to the bikers.

There were so many bikes, each one different and unique...and so many bikers, also different and unique. Bikers come from all walks of life and I have come to appreciate events like this that bring all of us together for a common cause. This event got me to thinking. Now I know we are not to judge others, but I don't think all 3,000+ bikers in attendance that day were Christians. Yet, here they were at a bike blessing, waiting patiently for the Padre to bless them and their bikes. Is it possible that deep down inside of all of us there is a desire to be known by God, to be recognized by God, to be blessed by God? Someone once said, that inside all of us is a hole, a missing piece that only God can fill.


I for one look forward to any opportunities to reach out and share the love and grace of God. Deep down it makes no difference whether we are Catholic, United Methodist, Baptist, or whatever. God loves us for who we are, not what church we attend or what bike we ride. Riding my bike and sharing my witness is only one way, but it is a fun way for me.

One last thing. As he was blessing the thousands of bikes, Fr. Francisco added this little disclaimer...he said that our bikes would only be truly blessed IF we rode them with care and safety! So, Lord, I promise to do my part to ride carefully and safely...just remember to do your part, and bless me and my bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment